Give Your Puppy or Kitten the Right Start in Life
At Raritan Animal Hospital, each pet's first year of care is customized based on its specific needs. Just like human children, puppies and kittens require additional physical exams and vaccine boosters to ensure that they get the very best start in life.
Our recommendations for your pet's first year:
- Physical Exams: Your pet's lifetime of wellness starts with its first comprehensive physical exam. Puppies and kittens should have 3-4 exams between the ages of 8-16 weeks. These visits are important because they give our veterinarians an opportunity to assess your pet's overall health and to administer vaccines.
- Vaccinations: Due to their immature immune systems, puppies and kittens must receive a series of properly staged vaccines. Since every puppy and kitten is unique, we tailor our vaccination recommendations based on their lifestyle and/or breed and according to the suggested guidelines.
- Diagnostic Testing: We recommend that dogs over 7 months of age not already receiving heartworm preventatives should be tested, if not done previously, and then annually per the guidelines of the American Heartworm Society.
- We recommend that all kittens be tested for Feline Leukemia, Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV), and heartworm in the first 6 months.
- Additional Recommendations: Your veterinarian will also discuss and recommend other services, such as spaying and neutering or microchipping that can lead to a longer and healthier life for your pet.